Text Size: A A

Frequently Asked Questions > FAQ > The person I care for needs to move to somewhere safer. How do I find out about care homes?

Search the FAQ for entries containing:

How do I find out about care options such as residential care, nursing home care, sheltered housing, extra care or assisted living?

Devon County Council has a section of its website called Finding Care Homes. It also has a section called Search 4 Services which includes information about websites with information about services including care homes.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel aims to help elderly people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs.

It is always advisable to ask for a Social Services Community Care Assessment prior to making a decision about a move for the person you care for because you may find out about other options available to you and the person you care for.

To request an assessment for the person you care for call Care Direct on 0845 1551 007.

Or if you care for an adult with a learning disability the contact telephone numbers for the Learning Disability Help Desks across Devon listed at

Or if you care for a child with additional needs it is advisable to get advice from a specialist organisation before considering any referrals or changes to services. A good first step is to contact Parent Carers Voice for advice because this organisation supports families of children with special needs. They have a website. The link is 

Alternatively for Parent Carers Voice in Exeter and East Devon call 01392 201 572, in Northern and Mid Devon call 01237 459 111 or for Teignbridge, South Hams and West Devon call 01803 863 761.

Another option is to contact the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator at your child's school or pre-school. Or speak to your General Practitioner or other Health Professional.

Last updated on April 9, 2012 by Devon Carers